GREAT ALPINE ROAD
• Turn off the Great Alpine Road and discover Mount Buffalo National Park
• Stop at Myrtleford Butter Factory, learn how butter is made - and have a bite to eat
• Spend a night in Harrietville and enjoy the towns warm hospitality and great country pubs
• Tour the Bogong Alpine Way (closed during Winter) and take in the breath taking sights of the Alpine National Park
• Have lunch at Dinner Plain, pure high country, or make it your holiday destination.
• Ride - pedal power or motor bike, the winding roads create an exciting and breath taking
• Stock up! boutique wineries and gourmet producers are dotted along the Great Alpine Road, all with a passion for what they do and a story of how they got there
• Ride the Murray to Mountain Rail Trail
The Great Alpine Road, a 308-kilometre route from Wangaratta through Mount Hotham and Dinner Plain to Bairnsdale, is an extraordinary drive at any time of year (please note chains must be carried during the winter months). It packs a powerful scenic punch, taking you past valleys, mountains, forests, rivers, vineyards, farms and historic villages before arriving at Bairnsdale, near the ocean, in Gippsland.
While this route can be covered easily in a day, you’d miss out on a great deal of countryside if you don’t take the Discovery Route loops. For example, there’s the Kiewa Valley Drive, which includes Myrtleford-Ovens-Happy Valley-Tawonga-Mount Beauty-Bright, or Mount Beauty-Falls Creek-Omeo-Bright in summer. The Kiewa Valley, where the highway follows the route of the Kiewa River, is reminiscent of the pretty and peaceful alpine valleys of Europe.
The Mount Buffalo drive takes you from Bright-Porepunkah-Mount Buffalo-Porepunkah and back to Bright. It’s the best way to ensure you see the Mount Buffalo National Park on your travels. Alternatively leave Bright for the nearby heritage-listed village of Wandiligong, before heading back toward Harrietville, Mount Hotham, Dinner Plain and Omeo.
SYDNEY MELBOURNE TOURING
The Great Alpine Road is also included in the new Sydney to Melbourne Touring Routes. It’s one of three distinctive touring routes that take you between Australia’s two largest cities. The ‘Adventure’ route drive takes you over the stunning Victorian Alps. Drive Australia’s highest year-round accessible sealed road up lofty mountains, into valleys and past rivers and vineyards to the ocean. Along the way have an outdoor adventure - experience rock climbing, hang-gliding or white-water rafting and snow sports in winter. Sample gourmet delights at welcoming towns along the way. For more information go to www.sydneymelbournetouring.com.au
Want a challenge? Then try the tight curves on the Great Alpine Road to Mount Hotham, the Mount Beauty-Falls Creek alpine road and the steep road that winds up to Mount Buffalo. (These roads are not suitable for motorbikes from June to October). If you’re in cruise mode, a loop around the region will give you straight stretches of road along the Great Alpine Road and Kiewa Valley Highway, with some good bends on the roads between Happy Valley, Mount Beauty, Tawonga and Bright.
For more details on the Great Alpine Road, visit www.greatalpineroad.info.
Myrtleford Bush Markets; first Friday in January
- The Great Alpine Road, a 308-kilometre route from Wangaratta through Mount Hotham and Dinner Plain to Bairnsdale
- Along the Great Alpine Road is many ideal fun family holiday destinations with activities for all ages, located in North East Victoria, cutting through the Alpine National Park and passes on the doorstep of Mount Buffalo National Park.
- The drive offers truly magnificent, distinct seasonal attributes, stunning Autumn colours, warm Summers by the Alpine fed rivers, Mother nature comes alive in Spring and Winter provides a blanket of snow as you drive over the Great Dividing Range, through Mt Hotham and Dinner Plain.
- Along the Great Alpine Road there is a large range of accommodation to suit all budgets, family accommodation, luxury couples retreats to budget back packer lodges. Check or ourfamily holiday deals or couples escape offers.
- Within the many bustling townships, such as Bright, Myrtleford and Harrietville, there are numerous great restaurants and cafes, local boutique and antique shops and ski hire / purchase venues.
Great Alpine Road, an adventure of true beauty, the ideal holiday touring route